Fire hits shop in Calapan City; P5M worth of furniture lost
CITY OF CALAPAN –– A fire hit a furniture shop Wednesday in this city, destroying around P5 million pesos worth of products.
Fire Officer 3 Jonjie Gamier, team leader of responding fire personnel from neighboring Baco town, said witnesses reported that the fire broke out at the shop in Barangay Suqui at 2:50 a.m.
Since responders from Calapan fire station are in quarantine, the Office of the Fire Provincial Director called Baco for assistance at 3:47 a.m.
Gamier’s team reached the site at 4 a.m., and a fire out was declared at 6:20 a.m.
Personnel from the Calapan Public Safety Department, Bureau of Fire Protection-Calapan, Tamaraw Fire Volunteer, and Oriental Mindoro Electric Cooperative, Inc. also helped put out the fire.
The shop owner placed the loss at P5 million. The official report would be based on the owner’s affidavit of loss, said Gamier.
The incident is under investigation.
But one angle is a faulty electrical system, said Gamier.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.