What is Bipolar Disorder? – Symptoms and More
by Josh Bianc
January 20, 2022
Here are some of the things you should know about Bipolar Disorder
BIPOLAR DISORDER – It is a mental disorder in which a person experiences an elevated mood (hyper mood, excessive energy, seemingly not tired).
This is accompanied by other common symptoms such as:
- Arrogance- They feel they can do everything as well as thinking they are always right.
- They do not need to sleep- Seemingly not tired e.g. washing, hanging out, partying.
- Very talkative to the point it’s merely impossible for you to speak.
- Easily distracted- When they see something new or have a new idea, they will move on to talking about it.
- What they used to do becomes “OA” ( similar to the example in no.2, they will clean all day non -stop)
- Risky behavior
According to pinoymentalhealthblog.com, people who experience these symptoms often stop their normal activities for example, at work, school, or family and friends. It can be noticed that they are no longer fulfilling their usual responsibilities.
People with elevated mood and its associated symptoms are called: Manic or Mania.
People with Bipolar can also experience the opposite of elevated mood called depression or sadness that does not go away.
Is it curable?
With medications (mood stabilizers), people with this disorder can return to their normal activities. They are fully functional (seemingly without any mental health issues) when they are in a remission state.
Is it contagious?
Is it hereditary?
People with first-degree relatives (parents, siblings, children) have a high potential to also have Bipolar Disorder. But it does not automatically develop, however, they still have a high chance of having it especially if something stressful happens to them.
Do you think this article was informative? Feel free to leave your comments.