LUCENA CITY – Cavite recorded 872 new COVID-19 cases, raising its active virus carriers to 11,079, the Provincial Information and Communication Affairs Department (PICAD) reported on its Facebook page Friday afternoon.
The agency added that the death toll rose to 1,841 as of August 20, after 23 new fatalities were recorded.
The Department of Health reported on August 18 that Cavite, which remains under the less restrictive modified enhance community quarantine (MECQ) status until Aug. 31, has 44 cases of the highly transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant
Governor Juanito Victor “Jonvic” Remulla, thorough Executive Order No. 48 issued Friday, said “attendance in (burial) wakes has been reported as among the most common sources of COVID-19 transmission in the province.”
He said the rising number of COVID-19 cases necessitates “more stringent measures to prevent the further spread of the virus and its more contagious strain.”
Remulla ordered that the wakes for individuals who died of causes other than COVID-19 shall only be limited to a maximum of two days.
Food and drinks shall not be served during gatherings for necrological services. wakes, and inurnments, and funerals, he added.
“The above activities shall be strictly limited to immediate family members, upon satisfactory proof of their relationship with the deceased,” Remulla stressed.
He also required strict compliance with the prescribed minimum public health standards for the duration of the activities.
Meanwhile, 1,143,426 residents in Cavite province have so far been vaccinated against COVID-19 as of August 17.
A total of 375,410 residents have so far been fully vaccinated.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this