3 more Cabanatuan City elderly die from COVID-19

CABANATUAN CITY—Three senior citizens, aged between 60 to 85 years old, are the latest fatalities of the coronavirus disease, raising the city’s total COVID-19 deaths to 39 as of Saturday, the city health office says.

They were residents of Barangays (villages) Balite, Caalibangbangan and Kap. Pepe and died due to complications with underlying medical conditions like pneumonia and hypertension. One of them died from acute respiratory failure.

ADVERTISEMENT

This city has recorded a total of 1,419 COVID-19 cases, of which 258 are active and 1,122 have recovered.

Last week, the Cabanatuan government launched drive-thru testing using rapid antigen tests in order to contain the spread of the virus through the timely detection of infected residents.

Vice Mayor Julius Cesar Vergara said the city government will also deploy teams to villages to undertake antigen tests on village officials.

Residents who tested positive for the disease either through antigens or via reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests were given rice and grocery packs while they isolate, he said.

ARMAND GALANG

RELATED STORIES

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.