MANILA, Philippines — Amid the string of attacks against Asian-Americans in the United States, the Philippine Consulate General in New York encouraged Filipinos who fall victim to anti-Asian hate crimes or have witnessed such incidents to get in touch with the consulate so immediate assistance can be rendered to victims.
“As we all know, the Filipino Community has been hit hard by the coronavirus but even as we struggle to cope with the effects of the pandemic, we suddenly find ourselves confronted with another challenge—hate crimes and other types of race-based violence,” the Philippines’ new consul general in New York, Elmer Cato, said in a statement posted on the consulate’s Facebook page Friday (Manila time).
“As we pray for an end to hate, racism, and discrimination, we also urge our kababayan to do their share. We call on all Filipinos who experience or witness any hate crime to immediately dial 911 to report the incident. We also urge Filipino victims or those who know of Filipino victims to immediately get in touch with us at the Consulate General so we could render assistance,” he said.
Filipinos were advised to report incidents to the Consulate General’s Assistance to Nationals Hotline at 917-239-4118 or to send an email to [email protected]
A Message from the Consul GeneralMga Minamahal Naming Kababayan, It is my honor to inform the members of the…
Posted by Philippine Consulate General in New York on Thursday, April 1, 2021
In New York alone, Cato noted that hate crimes directed against Asian-Americans “rose eight-fold” from January to November last year compared to the same period in 2019.
“The figures do not include recent incidents that involved some of our own,” he added.
“It is really unfortunate that kababayan in New York and other parts of the United States have been caught in this maelstrom along with other Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders,” he said.
Cato cited the recent attack on 65-year-old Filipino-American Vilma Kari, who was on her way to church in Manhattan when she was “violently assaulted by a former convict.”
He also pointed to the incident involving another Filipino-American, 61-year-old Noel Quintana, who was slashed across his face with a bladed weapon while riding the subway also in Manhattan.
“There are other incidents of similar violence inflicted on Filipinos and other members of the Asian-American Community. Sadly, many of these incidents went unreported,” Cato added.
“In these trying times, the Consulate General of the Philippines would like to assure our kababayan in New York and those in other states under our jurisdiction that we remain fully committed in looking after their well-being,” he further said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.