MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday recommended a week-long extension of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in the “NCR Plus” bubble covering Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Laguna and Bulacan.
“Extension for another week was recommended but nothing is final and IATF works in a whole of government approach. There will be an assessment of the progress before ECQ ends,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a Viber message.
On Monday, DOH Epidemiology Bureau director Dr. Alethea De Guzman said that health experts are recommending an extension of the week-long ECQ in “NCR Plus”, since lifting it after a week may only cause a minimal decline in the number of new COVID-19 cases.
She added that data must be carefully studied as she recognized the economic implication of a strict lockdown.
The ECQ reimposed inMetro Manila and the adjacent provinces of Cavite, Rizal, Laguna and Bulacan will be from March 29 to April 4.
The recommendation for an ECQ extension comes as the DOH reported 10,016 additional COVID-19 cases on Monday—the highest single-day tally so far—bringing the total coronavirus cases in the country to 731,894.
A total of 603,213 patients have recovered while 13,186 others have succumbed to the viral illness.
For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.