With no recourse but to follow government directive, Gilas Pilipinas broke camp again on Monday as training for the coming Fiba Asia Qualifying window ceased at Inspire Sports Academy in Calamba, Laguna province.
The move came just two weeks after the Nationals reentered the bubble as they continue preparing for a total of three Fiba events lined up this year.
Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Al Panilio rued what may seem as another setback in Gilas’ progress, but added that the national federation is supportive of the Philippine Sports Commission’s (PSC) order—one that stems from the reimposition of an enhanced community quarantine in the capital and four nearby provinces, which includes Laguna.
“The timing is unfortunate because our Gilas pool has been putting a lot of work,” Panlilio said.
“As always, we will remain supportive of the decisions coming from the PSC and will also strictly follow the relevant precautionary measures from the Department of Health and the (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases),” Panlilio added.
Gilas also broke camp during the second week of February, shortly after the Fiba Asia Cup qualifiers—originally scheduled in Clark Freeport and then eventually moved to Doha—was called off.
The Nationals again entered what is now known as “Calambubble” earlier this month. In tow are the program’s new recruits—four of whom came from the PBA’s special draft, and a handful scouted by the program director himself, Tab Baldwin.
“We can’t seem to bring our plans into fruition,” Baldwin said. INQ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.