Moreno: Some hospitals can no longer admit COVID-19 patients
MANILA, Philippines — Manila Mayor Isko Moreno has warned the public about the rising occupancy within private hospitals due to the latest COVID-19 surge, saying that potential patients may no longer be accommodated even if they have the money.
During his Facebook live broadcast on Thursday, Moreno reported that he had been told by some of his contacts that several hospitals in Metro Manila are already at capacity due to the rising COVID-19 cases.
This led him to warn his constituents that the best way to avoid the pandemic is to practice safety measures.
“Ishe-share ko lang sa inyo ang mga impormasyong nakalap ko through some friends at mga kakilala, na ang ibang mga private hospitals ay puno na rin po,” the local executive said.
(I’d like to share some information I received from friends and acquaintances that some private hospitals have already surpassed their COVID-19 bed capacity.)
“So ano po’ng ibig sabihin? Kahit ika’y may pera o wala, maaaring hindi ka ma-accomodate sa loob ng ospital. Kaya mag-iingat, mga kababayan, mag-iingat po kayo,” he added.
(So, what does this imply? It means that even though you have enough money, you can no longer stay in hospitals. As a result, we should take extra caution.)
Moreno reported that in city district hospitals, 167 of the 304 beds designated for COVID-19 patients are occupied, for a 55 percent occupancy rate. While these figures may not seem alarming, Moreno noted that 488 of 539 beds, or 91 percent of beds in the quarantine facility are now being used.
“Siyempre ang pinaka-mabisa kapag kayo’y na-impeksyon — eh wala namang espasyo sa loob ng bahay para maiiwas natin sa impeksyon ang inyong mga mahal sa buhay — so malamang sa hindi, dadalhin kayo sa quarantine facility,” he said.
(Of course, the best way to avoid infections — since there is not enough space inside their homes to avoid infecting other relatives — is to bring infected patients to a quarantine facility.)
“At darating ang oras na kahit napakarami nating ginawang quarantine facility, mapupuno’t mapupuno ‘yon. Ayan na po, nasa inyong mga screen, 91 percent. So kung kayo’y magpositibo at hindi kayo na-accomodate sa quarantine facility at mananatili kayo sa maliit na espasyo sa bahay, malamang sa hindi mahahawa niyo si lolo, si lola, nanay o tatay, o anak,” he added.
(And the time would come that despite the government creating a lot of quarantine facilities, it would be at full capacity. And it is happening, on your screens, the 91 percent occupancy. So if you test positive and could no longer be brought to quarantine facilities, you would stay at home and possibly infect your relatives.)
Earlier, the Department of Health (DOH) data showed that 21 of 150 hospitals in the National Capital Region now have a critical level for COVID-19 bed capacity, while 27 were placed under a high-risk classification.
This is an increase from last week’s 19 critical and 20 high-risk hospitals.
READ: COVID-19 bed capacity: 21 of 150 NCR hospitals under ‘critical’ level — DOH
Metro Manila is currently seeing an increase in new COVID-19 infections, which officials attribute to the spread of more transmissible variants of concern.
DOH said that the country has already registered at least one case each for the three variants of concern listed by global health authorities: the B.1.1.7 variant from the United Kingdom, the B.1.135 strain, which traces to South Africa, and the P.1 from Brazil.
According to analytics group OCTA Research, this new COVID-19 surge is spreading faster than initially predicted, which may result in 4,000 new daily cases for Metro Manila by the end of March.
But more recent projections say that the country may have 8,000 to 11,000 new cases by the end of the month if the surge is left unchecked.
READ: OCTA Research: Rise of COVID-19 cases in Metro Manila faster than predicted
READ: COVID-19 cases in PH may rise to 8,000 daily by end of March – OCTA member
The new surge has also prompted the government to suspend inbound arrivals of foreigners and Filipinos except for returning overseas Filipino workers and the reimposition of uniform curfew hours in Metro Manila.
READ: PH will suspend entry of travelers from abroad except returning OFWs starting March 20
For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.