MANILA, Philippines — Complaints have been filed against the six people arrested in simultaneous raids conducted in Calabarzon last Sunday, along with nine others who remain at large, Gen. Debold Sina, the Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, said on Wednesday.
In those raids, that came to be referred to collectively as Bloody Sunday, nine other suspects were killed, according to the Calabarzon Police Regional Office.
Sinas previously defended the operations as “legitimate,” saying that security forces had search warrants issued on suspicion of illegal possession of firearms and explosives.
But activists groups decried the operations, saying that these were meant to silence dissent.
Bagong Alyanang Makabayan (Bayan) said the operations took place on the heels of President Rodrigo Duterte’s order last week to the police and the military to “kill them all,” referring to communist rebels.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.